Tom is an award-winning full-stack developer with 9 years of professional experience in digital production and a passionate involvement prior.
Having worked with clients such as Nintendo, VicRoads, Specsavers, SportsBet, and Mushroom Group, as well as a number of fledging and established start-ups, he has proven a broad and flexible skillset in areas ranging from front-end development, full-stack application architecture, web application performance tuning, isomorphic app rendering and delivery, web design (in a variety of contexts), and system and infrastructure operations and orchestration.
He holds a Bachelor of Information Technology (Computer Science and Software Development) from Deakin University and is a regular contributor to open-source projects.
- Web application development, particularly in current and next generation technology.
User interface design and implementation, with focus on novel user experiences and highly scalable design systems.
Improving the technical standard and delivery efficiency of projects and the teams who make them through process and leadership.
- Proficient in Ruby, PHP, SQL. Intermediate knowledge of C#, Objective-C.
- Proficient in high-level application design geared toward performance, scalability, and maintainability.
- Deep understanding of the React framework, related libraries such as Redux and Apollo, and structuring composable front-end applications.
- Passionate about client-side performance, including time to initial render, request optimisation, and perceived performance.
- Working knowledge of a wide range of mainstream products and frameworks, including Bootstrap, Wordpress, Magento, Rails. Quick to adapt to new frameworks and paradigms.
- Proficient in test driven development (TDD), as well as unit testing and automated browser testing.
- Proficient in CI/CD pipelines (Buildkite, Gitlab, Travis), Docker containerisation, Kubernetes deployment, kops-based cluster management, and Helm. Passionate about continuous deployment (CI/CD) and twelve-factor applications.
- Well versed in Amazon Web Services (AWS) products, especially EC2, S3, RDS, EBS, CloudFront. Familiar with Google Cloud Platform (GCP), especially GKE and GCE.
- Passionate about contributing back to the open-source community.
Bachelor of Information Technology (Computer Science and Software Development)
2007 — 2010
- Acquired advanced understanding of computer systems and low-level software development principles including security, concurrency, databases, and optimization.
- Learned Object-Oriented Programming principles and the software development process and modern methodologies, and development of C# desktop and ASP-based applications in the .Net framework
- Knowledge of management principles and teamwork skills.
March 2016 — Current
- Senior Developer (React Specialist)
- React, Redux, CSS Modules
- Webpack and Babel tooling, Typescript
- Ruby on Rails, Go, Kubernetes
- Brought on (in contract capacity) to kickstart a greenfield React project, build foundational tooling and structure, and up-skill existing team
Responsible for building scalable, core business features such as the email editor and its associated rendering service.
- Key driver of frontend component library, integration tests (Nightwatch, Cypress.io), and CI/CD pipelines and tooling.
Expanded role to include infrastructure and container orchestration management during Kubernetes migration, supported twelve-factor development, and helped implement scaling strategies.
November 2014 — December 2015
- Head Engineer
- Universal (SSR) React, Redux, Ruby on Rails
- ES2015, Babel, modular SCSS
- AWS, Codeship, Github
- Managed timelines and responsibilities of engineering team.
- Architected client web application, API, and infrastructure, achieving speedy first-paint and delightful in-app experience.
- Systems administration of Amazon Web Services (Beanstalk, EC2, CloudFront, S3, Route 53).
- Developer experience across development environments, continuous integration, documentation, and engineering support.
Future Music Festival 2015
for Mushroom Creative, October 2014
- Developer (contract) - HTML/CSS/JS and Wordpress development
- Heavily customised Wordpress build including custom city selector and numerous funky design elements
- Worked with other members of Mushroom Creative on design and infrastructure scaling
- Hundreds of thousands of unique hits on launch day without issue
Sugar Mountain 2015
for Mushroom Creative, September 2014
- Sole Developer (contract) - HTML/CSS/JS and Wordpress development
- Full scale Wordpress build with large video and responsive page elements
- Developed infrastructure to handle festival-sized site load
iSelect - at icon.inc, September 2014
- Developer - HTML/CSS/JS
- Front-end framework with base styles, component library, full page templates, and bespoke components
- Ground-up build with each aspect tailored or validated against business and engineering requirements or pain points
- Assisted in-house developers on maintaining, extending, and integrating the guide into multiple languages and frameworks
- Used across all vertical landing pages and sales funnels as part of wider rebranding strategy
October 2013 — October 2014
- Senior Developer
- Responsive design
- Objective-C on iOS
- Front-end development of responsive websites, including bespoke interaction elements.
- Integration of templates with Laravel– and Drupal-based projects.
- iOS and Android mobile development.
- Implementing best practices and improving current procedures.
Accounts4Life - at Wave Digital, September 2013
- Designer and Developer (contract) - Ruby on Rails, HTML/CSS/JS
- Design interface templates, including interaction of complex but succinct account mapping system
- Development of both back-end and front-end including a range of bespoke components.
- High-volume parsing of esoteric transaction files used by all major banks (as mandated by the RBA).
August 2012 — September 2013
- Ruby on Rails and PHP
- Cloud development on AWS and Heroku (incl. cloud scaling applications)
- Linux (Ubuntu) server administration
- Development of Ruby on Rails projects with complex business rules, including parsing of esoteric file formats, pulling and pushing data from Facebook, Twitter, and other APIs.
- Client-side front-end development based on internal and external designs, maintaining support with IE7 and up including responsive websites.
- User interface design, incl. user experience analysis
- Management of client relationships, and some high-level project management.
- iOS development of prototype iPhone applications.
for Domy na Wzgorzu, June 2011
- Developer (contract) - HTML / CSS / JS
- Created custom front-end with a rich interface and many interactive elements.
- Fully compatible with IE7+, FF4+ and Chrome.
November 2010 — August 2012
- Web Developer
- PHP 4+, Classic ASP, ASP.Net
- MySQL and MSSQL
- Microsoft Server 2008 and 2010 administration
- Development of internally designed front-ends using HTML, JS and CSS, maintaining support with IE6 and up.
- Integration of front-ends with an internally-developed CMS application (FreshMint) and E-Commerce system (bCommerce).
- Development of custom builds to client spec in Classic ASP involving extensive modification of FreshMint and bCommerce.
- Worked within varied project teams, sometimes as lead developer coordinating teams of up to 4 people.
- Created in-house tools to aid in project management budget overviews, and track time spent on project tickets (which halved the amount of time employees spent time logging).